Site Set Up
1. Using an internet browser such as SAFARI or CHROME type the following address: https://hciss.newcastle.edu.au/
This is the Humanities, Creative Industries & Social Sciences Homepage website.
2. Click on GET YOURS
3. Please read the Terms carefully and then click ‘I AGREE’.
4. Type a username that is at least 4 characters.
These must be letters or numbers only. You cannot have uppercase, symbols or spaces. We recommend using your STUDENT NUMBER. (e.g. c123456)
5. This must be your student email address (e.g. email@example.com)
Make sure you have access to this address as you will need to retrieve an email from the site to verify it.
6. Answer the simple ReCaptcha question to verify you are not a robot. Select Gimme a site! And press NEXT
7. Nominate a site name.
Once again it must be at least 4 characters. These must be letters or numbers only. You cannot have uppercase, symbols or spaces.
If you use your name, e.g. John Smith, it will appear as https://hciss.newcastle.edu.au/johnsmith. The idea is that this is a professional site that you can use to promote yourself to future employers.
8. This is the name that will appear at the top of your WordPress. Once again, we recommend it be your name. It can have capitals and spaces.
9. As your WordPress is a work in progress and not yet ready to be seen by the public, we recommend selecting NO. You can change this at a future date when it is complete so search engines can pick up your site.
10. Press the sign-up button.
11. You now need to log into your student email to get the verification email to activate WordPress. If you do not do this within two days, you will have to sign up again.
If there are still issues, please place a ticket: https://hciss.newcastle.edu.au/technical/ticket/
12. You will need to click on the link in your email to activate your account.
13. Once you have done this, you will receive another email with your username and password.
Sign in to Your Account
1. Type your WordPress address into an internet browser and add /access
So, in this example, it would be: https://hciss.newcastle.edu.au/johnsmith/access
You then enter the username and password supplied in the Sign-Up email.
The WordPress site will now open to the Dashboard.
2. Type your WordPress address into an internet browser. In this example, it would be https://hciss.newcastle.edu.au/johnsmith. You will see the way your WordPress looks at the moment. It will be a simple site with little information.
Scroll down all the way to the bottom and below the META header will be the “LOG IN” option. Click on this to log in.
Resetting Your Password
If you have forgotten your password, you can click the Lost Your Password? link at the login screen and follow the steps that are asked.
If you are logged in and at your site’s Dashboard, you can manually change your password whenever you like.
Select Users > Your Profile from the left menu in the Dashboard.
This will open a profile page. You can change all your details on your profile and add a picture and contact information. If you scroll down further, you will find the section to change your password.
Click GENERATE PASSWORD. There will be a new password generated. You can delete this and create your own password. When you are happy with your new password click UPDATE PROFILE.